How to Build a Great Web page or School Web Site TutorialCHAPTERS
LEARN THE BASICS
OF DESIGN WITH
- Learn How you should approach developing a web page or website and the tools to use.
- What should be there? Who is it for? Specific Guidlines, and Goals.
- What is your Exit Plan when you don't want it anymore?
- WEB SITE DESIGN TOOLS FOR CHILDREN
- DISCUSSIONS & ARTICLES ON BUILDING WEB SITES
- TOOLS TO TEST YOUR WEBSITE CODE
- EVALUATING WEB SITES
- SUBMIT YOUR URL TO SEARCH ENGINES
- HTML BASICS TUTORIAL Learn HTML free tutorial and how you make a webpage
A PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL WEBSITE OR SCHOOL DISTRICT WEBSITE HAS HIRED SOMEONE WITH THE FOLLOWING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Expert knowledge of web publishing and content management systems.
• Expert ability to design, develop, and maintain websites conforming to web standards (W3C) and industry best practices.
• Expert knowledge of HTML and CSS.
• Thorough knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop and Dreamweaver.
• Thorough knowledge of website usability, information architecture, and accessibility.
• Thorough knowledge of technologies used in modern web publishing including multiple browsers, feeds, blogs, and social media.
• Thorough knowledge of structuring content and metadata to improve internal and external search experiences.
• Familiarity with multilingual web and email publishing.
• Familiarity with requirements of mobile device access.
• Familiarity with publishing video online.
• Familiarity with publishing HTML emails.
• Ability to keep up to date on evolving web communications technologies and editorial approaches.
• Ability to collaborate with technical staff on systems development and with communications staff on editorial development.
• Ability to adapt easily to new technologies for online content creation and distribution.
• Ability to handle multiple projects, react quickly to communications needs, and suggest more effective approaches to production and content packaging.
• Ability to work well on a team.
• Excellent analytical, writing, oral communications and human relations skills. Excellent attention to detail and collaboration skills.
• Thorough knowledge of written English (AP Style, Chicago Manual of Style, Strunk & White) and of best practices for writing for the web.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Updates MCPS web pages and sites with new content on a regular basis.
2. Designs, plans, and develops new web sites for offices, departments, and schools.
3. Re-architects and migrates legacy sites into the central content management system (CMS).
4. Cleans up legacy HTML and CSS to improve site efficiency, usability and content presentation; uses emerging web standards including HTML5 & CSS3.
5. Writes and edits content; assists with editorial improvements to existing sites. Contributes copy for user interface designs.
6. Develops and maintains editorial production plans and calendars for site.
7. Develops and maintains multilingual sites. Works within our publishing workflow to publish a monthly email newsletter in 6 languages.
8. Designs and codes HTML emails.
9. Trains webmasters on using the CMS and web best practices. Writes documentation for content contributors when required.
10. Uses data from site and search analytics to help improve visitor engagement, content strategy, and information architecture.
11. Conducts user research and gathers stakeholder feedback to improve site usability.
12. Maintains and grows knowledge of new technology and tools to continually improve web communications.
13. Collaborates regularly with other communications staff to enhance school system communication.
14. Performs related work and other tasks as assigned.
- HUBS AND SPOKES the Global Internet Primer
- CYBRARIANS / LIBRARIANS - Indexing, Education, Resources, National Associations
- Virtual Librarians & Indexing Resources
- Definition of Torrents the Beginners Guide to Using Usenet
- Live Web Cams showing the world and other google maps mashups.
- MapLib.net turns any image you uploaded as large as 6000*6000 into a custom Google Map and makes it zoomable &draggable with fantastic viewing experience, in really simple two steps. You can make annotations for it by adding markers, as well as embed it in your own web pages or blog.