dIGITAL DIVIDE RESOURCES
ALL ABOUT COMPUTER DONATIONS - GET COMPUTERS FOR FREE
Fight CensorshipCensoring & Filtering Software Examining the cases of China and Cuba, Carnegie's Shanthi Kalathil and Taylor C. Boas show that authoritarian regimes can actually maintain control over the Internet's political impact and benefit from the technology.
"Americans with Disabilities Act of Cyberspace." "For disabled college students, professors' increased use of the Web for instruction can create obstacles rather than clear them away. Many disabled students find that new technology cuts them off from the learning process. To prevent that, colleges are -- among other things -- designing Web sites and buying computer workstations that meet the needs of disabled students." In "Making Web Sites Work for People With Disabilities" (by Andrea L. Foster, THE CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION,February 2, 2001, p. A30) read how colleges and universities are coping with the requirements of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- Find The First Women who worked with computers
- Women's History Month
- What you can do to help GRRLS get into technology!
Here are all kinds of resources, mentoring programs, projects, and links for helping girls using science, math, technology, to cross that digital divide.
- Changing Girls' Attitudes About Computers
- Entreprenurial Resources for Women
- Best Online Resources For Women and Minoritiesin Science and Technology
- International Gender Equity Resources Online
- Defining the Technology Gap
- Net Narrows Gender Gap by Diana Michele Yap Aug. 30, 2000
- If Girls Don't Get IT, IT Won't Get Girls
- American Association of University Women Take Action
- The American Camping Association has a database available of over 2,000 accredited summer camps. (find for girls only)
- CAMPUS CRIME STATS UNCOVERED ABOUT HIGHER EDUCATION
- The Independent Means website is the place for women under-twenty (and their over-twenty mentors) to find an income of their own! Independent Means is the leading provider of products and services for girls' financial independence. We are your first stop for news on starting a business; making, saving, and growing money, and networking with mentors.
- Salary survey examines California nonprofits
Women in supervisory positions at northern California nonprofits earn 87 percent of the salary of men in comparable positions, the latest edition of the Wage and Benefit Survey of Northern California Nonprofit Organizations reports. The survey, which was produced by the Management Center, reports on the salaries and benefits given to the staff members of 300 nonprofit agencies in 20 counties. Information is used by organizations to determine compensation levels and attract qualified personnel.
Other information in the survey:
* 80 percent of agencies provide some sort of retirement benefit to their employees. The most common type is a 403(b) plan, with contributions made solely by the employee.
* Despite the salary gap in supervisory positions, the average female's salary across the board is 92 percent of the average male's salary.
* The median salary for women in a supervisory position is $18.35 an hour, while the median supervisory salary for men is $20.19 an hour.
For a copy of the report, call (415) 362-9735, extension 117.
- Films or articles on 1950s constructions of gender, domesticity. An astonishing collection of period educational films, training reels, and other mass-produced films, many of which deal heavily with gender roles, see http://www.avgeeks.com/ . The AV geeks have an archive of over 18,000 educational and industrial films, and they have made many of them available in digital form via YouTube, Google Video, the Internet Archive, and (for better quality) DVDs.
- In the Rivers of Steel Archive is a U.S. Steel Corporation training film from World War II, whose purpose was to train (male) plant managers in how to supervise (female) temporary shop-floor workers. Fascinating to see how gender differences, abilities, and requirements were perceived at that period of our history (i.e., wartime) and in that situation (a normally male-dominated and male-identified industry). If you'd like to know more about this film or others in our collection, please contact our archivist Ron Baraff or one of his assistants (email@example.com).
FREE BIRD FLUE AND YELLOW FEVER SHOTS
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America's Flu Shot Finder, site is a simple zip code search. Enter a zip code and you'll get a table of places to get flu shots, including place name, address (and phone number), date, and times.
Study of Homelessness and
Online catalog of over 5,000 publications, Web sites, and other data sources related to homelessness and poverty.
MENTAL HEALTH - Ethnic Issues in Psychotherapy
APA Guidelines for Providers of Psychological Services to Ethnic, Linguistic, and Culturally Diverse Populations
To help psychologists in their work with ethnic,linguistic, and culturally diverse populations.
Cultural Factors in Psychiatric Syndromes
NATIONAL CHILD ABUSE HOTLINE
The Childhelp USA® National Child Abuse Hotline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and receives calls from throughout the United States, Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam and Puerto Rico. The hotline is staffed with professional counselors who utilize a database of more than 55,000 emergency, social service and support resources. The hotline offers crisis intervention, information, literature and referrals. State-of-the-art technology provides translators in approximately 140 languages.