Just Be Your Own Person - that is the definition of cool.
Mainstream does not mean compromised, it means quality! Something so good that it cannot be denied!
American School Counselor Association (ASCA). 
Guidance counselors are called school counselors now. ASCA recommends no more than 250 students per counselor, the ratio in Florida is closer to 500 to one. School Counselors are responsible for three domains: academic achievement, personal and social development, and college and career planning."
1) If you feel manipulated.
If you feel pushed by anything that doesn't feel right to you, Don't do it. You are not obligated to do anything they asked you to do.
2) When you are given something and you feel you have to give something back. You don't have to.
3) You have been told to trust someone or think you have to trust someone. You don't. Think for yourself. If it doesn't feel right then don't trust them.
4) They tell you that you have to do it.
You don't have to do it.
They manipulate you by saying you said you'd do it. You can change your mind and say no anytime you want.
5) Everyone thinks so or is doing it.
Think for yourself.
You can do what you want you don't have to do what everyone else does or think what they think. You decide for yourself.
6) Telling you what to do or think.
Don't worry about what they think.
Are they an expert? Who are they anyway? Why should you believe what they are telling you? Who are they to tell you anything?
You do what you think is best for you.
7) You can't have it.
They make it hard to get on purpose making you think it is something great. Don't get fooled into thinking it is valuable when it isn't.