- Knickerbocker Magazine 1859 Review of E & S Ballads
It has a section devoted to the work done by F J Child. In 1857 Little Brown published the eight-volumes of Child's "English and Scottish Ballads", this as part of an English poets series. Dissatisfied with it, he then set to work on the "definitive" ESPB. It is this early set the Knickerbock review must refer to Dr. Knickerbocker children's chant.
- Lullaby-like songs are universal the world over.
- Online Nursery Rhyme Cards
To encourage both the school-home connection, as well as the positive influences of families reading together, this site offers more than seventy illustrated nursery rhymes to print as cards and send home with students. They can also be used in the classroom, collected, reviewed, and sent home as a little book.
- NURSERY RHYMES Origins and History
- TEACH HISTORY THROUGH SONG
- INTEGRATE THE ORAL TRADITION INTO THE CLASSROOM
- LEARN ALL ABOUT AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC "Plea for the Old Ballads" [1914 Sep 18 "far superior to the Present Day Lyrics"]. "Put a volume of fine old ballads on the piano and begin you child's education not only in song but romance."
- STANDARDS FOR FOLKLIFE EDUCATION FOLK MUSIC
- FOLKLORE, MUSIC, AND TRADITIONAL CULTURE compilation of excellent best of breed online collections.
- ALSO SEE SONGS taught across American Schools in the early 1900's.
- An authenitc street scene in the film The Naked City 1948 where you'll enjoy watching several girls saying In came the Doctor In cam the nurse in came the lady with the alligator purse rhyme while jumping rope. You'll feel like you're back in New York City in the 1940's!" This is the city as it is. The children at play, the buildings in their naked stone." -- Narrator (Mark Hellinger)
- Find Nursery Rhymes
- Early Literacy:A Rhyme a week all through the school year.